Regardless of the time of day, always be mindful of your neighbors. We all have different times in the year when our stress levels can be high, or we are not feeling well, and could use a quiet environment. You might think of the specific Quiet Hours described below as Quieter Hours!
Note that walls between rooms are very thin, so something as simple as increasing the TV’s volume could be keeping someone else awake.
Please refrain from making noise during Quiet Hours:
- On weekdays (Sunday evening through Friday morning), Quiet Hours are from 10:00pm to 8:00am
- On weekends (Friday evening through Sunday morning), Quiet Hours are from 12:00am to 9:00am.
Parties and loud noise are strongly discouraged throughout final exam period.
Coping with Excessive Noise
Noise Internal to The Warehouse
- First, please contact the resident causing the noise. If another resident approaches you to reduce noise, please be considerate in your response as it is not easy to approach someone with a concern.
- If the noise continues after having approached the resident and it's during Quiet Hours please call this number 617-253-1500 (which is the MIT Facilities Operation Desk) and ask them to send someone over to resolve a noise complaint. They will ask you to provide your name, residence hall and room number along with the room number of the resident making the noise.
- For chronic noise disturbances which have not been eliminated despite contacting the resident and the above number, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and describe the noise concerns and what you have done to resolve it. You can expect a response within 1-2 business days.
Noise External to The Warehouse
For persistent noise disturbances arising outside the building (e.g., deliveries to adjacent businesses, loading dock noise, etc.), please contact the Heads of House, email@example.com.
For noise disturbances arising outside the building during Quiet Hours (e.g., street parties or altercations outside the building), please call the MIT police 617-253-1212.