- It is permitted to serve alcohol inside your Warehouse apartment to individuals of legal drinking age.
- However, IF YOU WISH TO CONSUME OR SERVE ALCOHOL in the common spaces of The Warehouse (i.e., the Colbert Room, TV Room, Study Room (Room 046), or the second and third floor lounges), YOU MUST REGISTER THE EVENT, regardless of the event size.
- In addition, RESERVATION of the event room is mandatory for events with more than 10 attendees and optional for events with 10 attendees or fewer. To reserve a room, see the room reservation form here.
- REGISTRATION of an event where alchohol is being served is limited to 1 group at a time per event space.
- Event registrations and room reservations are allowed at any time of year EXCEPT between the last day of classes and the last day of finals, each semester.
- In addition, all MIT policies with respect to holding events with alcohol remain enforce unless restricted further by the policies on the Warehouse website. An overview of the MIT policies may be found here.
- It is against the law to serve alcohol in common areas without appropriate registration, or to serve alcohol to anyone under 21 years of age. Failure to comply with the policies and procedures outlined below will result in any of the various applicable fines levied to your Bursar’s account, a visit from the MIT Police, and any additional measures deemed appropriate by members of the MIT administration.
To plan and register an event where alcohol will be served, the procedures outlined below must be followed.
Before the event:
For groups of 10 people or fewer:
- Submit the online Warehouse Small Event with Alcohol Event Registration Form to register your event for alcohol. This can be done in advance or immediately prior to the event.
- You will be emailed a copy of your completed form. To complete the alcohol registration process, please either print out that email or bring an electronic copy of it and present it to the front desk staff. Your ability to hold the event will still be contingent on the availability of both the room and the alcohol sign. The front desk staff can inform you of the availability of the same.
For groups between 11 and 30 people:
- At least 48 hours before the event, reserve a room. View the room reservation policy here.
- At least 48 hours before the event, submit the online Warehouse Small Event with Alcohol Event Registration Form to register your event for alcohol.
- To complete the alcohol registration process, please wait to receive an email from a Warehouse Building RA, who will notify you if the room reservation and the ability to serve alcohol at the event has been approved or declined. If approved, your event will be entered in the Warehouse calendar as "Approved for Alcohol" and the front desk staff will permit you to check out the alcohol registration sign. Check the Warehouse calendar to ensure the “Approved for Alcohol” status posted correctly; until this occurs, alcohol may not be served or consumed.
For groups greater than 30 people:
- At least 48 hours before the event, reserve the Colbert Room (groups larger than 30 may only serve alcohol in the Colbert Room, with a maximum capacity of 50 people). View the room reservation policy for more detailed information on event room reservation. Be sure to indicate your desire to serve alcohol when reserving the room. When the reservation has been processed and approved by the Building & Sustainability RA, your event will be listed on the dorm calendar and will be marked "Alcohol Approval Pending".
- Events of this size with alcohol must be registered via the Atlas system. See link here for the form, explanation of the system in place for graduate residences, and event registration guidelines. Be aware of the time required to receive Atlas approval for an event with alcohol and plan accordingly.
- Once you have received Atlas approval, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that your calendar listing can be updated with the "Approved for Alcohol" status.
- Check the calendar on The Warehouse’s website to ensure the “Approved for Alcohol” status posted correctly; until this occurs, alcohol may not be served or consumed.
During the event:
- For events of 30 people or fewer: right before your event, display the alcohol registration sign prominently in your event room. For events greater than 30 people: right before your event, print out and prominently post the completed and approved Atlas Event Registration form in your event room.
- The event host must stay sober and present at the event for its entire duration.
- Kegs and drinking games are strictly prohibited. This is a zero tolerance policy, violation of which will result in suspension of room reservation and alcohol privileges, as well as disciplinary action in accordance with MIT policy.
After the event:
- For events of 30 people or fewer: Your event must conclude after at most 4 hours, or before Quiet Hours have started, whichever comes first. At the conclusion of your event, please return the alcohol registration sign to the front desk. Late returns of the alcohol registration sign will result in loss of room reservation and alcohol privileges..
- For events greater than 30 people: remove the Atlas Event Registration form from your event room.
- Clean-up after yourself! See the the room reservation policy here for your post event responsibilities.